Digestion of food is a team effort; organs work together to convert the food you eat into nutrients your body needs to function. These nutrients are absorbed in the alimentary canal which is later released in the bloodstream. You become what you eat; one should always monitor his/her food consumption. Stop munching on chips now and then as they cause nothing but bloating and indigestion. Also, research suggests that the digestive system can affect mood and overall mental health due to the connection between the digestive system and the brain. A healthy digestive system is free of ailments and functions efficiently. Some common illnesses of the digestive system include:
- gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- peptic ulcer
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Now that you are familiar with the concept of digestive health; Let's get into the details. Here are some tips to keep your digestive system healthy
- Eat healthily: For your system, means consuming fruits, vegetables and both insoluble and soluble fibre. Soluble fibre like oats, barley, nuts, seeds, and beans assist your digestive system to absorb water. The insoluble fibre in foods like wheat bran, vegetables, and whole grains keeps everything in motion throughout your alimentary canal.
- Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated will help your digestive system function smoothly. It is recommended that women consume 2.7 litres of water per day and men drink 3.7 litres per day.
- Add healthy fats to your plate: Foods that contain high Omega 3 fatty acids like flaxseeds, chia seeds, nuts, fatty fish like salmon, mackerel and sardines can help you through your digestion.
- Get your stress under control: Stress can turn your system upside down, studies suggest that stress has a strong connection with stomach ulcers, diarrhoea, constipation and IBS.
- Chew Properly: The process of digestion starts from the mouth itself, Your teeth break the food into tiny pieces so that the enzymes in your alimentary canal can act on the bolus of food. Studies have shown that chewing food properly can lead to better digestion.
- Consider probiotics: Probiotics contain bacteria that can better your digestive health when taken as supplements. Furthermore, they might improve symptoms of constipation and diarrhoea.
These are just a few things that can help you keep your guts healthy. We should all take our bodies seriously; take care of it. Food is the fuel for our body, so watch what you eat. At the end of the day; You do you.