A cataract is nothing but opacification of the natural lens of the eyes. For suffering from cataracts, seeing through cloudy lenses is a lot like looking through the mist. Clouded vision caused by cataracts can make reading a difficult task for you. Simple day to day activities like driving and even faces can be a lot to handle. Most cataracts develop gradually and don't impact your eyesight in the future, yet with time, cataracts will eventually affect your vision.
The symptoms usually start with the cloudiness. It may affect only a small part of the lens, and you might not even notice the vision loss at first. Here are some of the symptoms:
- The cloudy or blurry vision
- faded colours
- Inability to see clearly in the dark or at night.
- Lamps, sunlight, or headlights appearing very bright
- You see double; which will reduce as the cataract gets bigger.
- You have to change the power of your glasses frequently.
- Nearsightedness in older people
Cataract affects people differently; the causes can be different for everyone.
- Ultraviolet radiation
- Long time use of corticosteroid medications
- Statin medicines prescribed for cholesterol
- Eye injury or inflammation in the past
- Previous eye surgery
- Hormone replacement therapy
- alcohol consumption
- High myopia
The cataract treatment depends on your choice and the type of cataract you have.
- Home treatment: Earlier, you might have the option to roll out little improvements to deal with your symptoms. You can incorporate things like:
- Bright lights at home or work
- Use of anti-glare sunglasses
- Use of magnifying lenses for reading.
- Glasses or contacts: A new prescription for eyeglasses or contact lenses can assist the earlier issues.
- Surgery: Your doctor might suggest surgery if your cataracts start getting in the way of everyday activities like reading, driving and writing. During cataract surgery, the doctor removes the clouded lens and replaces it with a new, artificial lens which is also called an intraocular lens, or simply IOL. This surgery is very safe 90% of the people have noticed good results after the surgery.