Ageing is a continuous process and skin is no exception. It is the most voluminous organ of the body; besides, it shows signs of ageing when it gets older. A large amount of the population mainly, women try to reverse the signs of ageing to keep their youthful look. A combination of diet, exercise and skincare products is used to prevent the signs of ageing.
Some of the changes include:
- The epidermis(outer layer) of skin starts thinning, but the number of cells remains the same.
- The number of melanocytes(pigment-containing cells) reduces in number.
- Large pigmented spots become visible in the areas exposed to the sun.
- Skin elasticity decreases which is known as elastosis.
- Oil glands become less active.
- Bleeding under the skin becomes recurrent as the blood vessels become weak.
- Keeping cool becomes tough because sweat glands produce less sweat.
- Reduced sensitivity to touch, pressure, vibration, heat, and cold.
There are a lot of causes for premature or normal skin ageing. Some of them include:
- Reduced rate of multiplication in the basal layers of the cell.
- Thinning of the epidermal layer of skin.
- Decreased amount of collagen, fibrin and elastin, which in turn diminishes the ability of the skin to hold water.
- Exposure to UV radiation.
- Inflammaging due to type II diabetes.
- Genetic mutation can cause premature ageing.
- Some blood vessel diseases like arteriosclerosis.
- Side effects of medication.
- Liver diseases
- heart diseases
- Exposure to chemicals
The treatment plan can differ according to your choice, severity or lifestyle.
- Skincare: This is more of a preventive measure rather than a treatment. You can use high-quality sunscreen before stepping out in the sun.
- Antioxidants: Vitamin C and Vitamin E are antioxidants which prevent Matrix metalloproteinases(MMP) production, which degrades collagen in the skin.
- Stem cell therapy: transplantation of Adipose tissue(fatty tissue) is done that helps in increasing the skin volume.
- Retinoids: These are similar to Vitamin A chemically, and these are known to suppress the function of MMPs.
- Hormone replacement therapy: For the women undergoing menopause this treatment is used. It increases skin volume, collagen content and improves water-retaining capacity.